Guest lecturers at a short course on the stages of research process
Four SMERU researchers, Syaikhu Usman, Nina Toyamah, Palmira Bachtiar, and Rachma Indah Nurbani gave a short course on the stages of research process, including a simulation on data collection in qualitative research as well as a sharing session on how to conduct an interview and a focus group discussion (FGD) as well as how to make research report and field notes. This short course was held at HW Hotel Padang, Jl. Hayam Wuruk No 16 Padang, West Sumatra for three consecutive days, 24–26 November 2015. The participants were lecturers and researchers from the Faculty of Sharia and researchers from Research Institute and Community Services, The State Islamic Institute (IAIN) Imam Bonjol Padang.
The purpose of this short course is to improve the participants’ understanding and skills on the stages of research process.
The Content of the Short Course:
- the stages of research process
- methods of data collection in qualitative research
- how to determine research location and informant
- how to develop research instruments
- sharing session on how to conduct interview, FGD, and how to make field notes
- simulations on how to conduct interview, FGD, and depth interview
- database management for research
- qualitative analysis technique
- writing research reports
This training course is part of SMERU’s services to provide consultations, training sessions, and workshops in order to strengthen the role of civil society in the formulation and implementation of public and private sector policies.