- Law No. 6/2014 on Villages (the Village Law) gave village heads greater authority and larger budgets to regulate and manage their communities' interests.
- It is important to ensure that village governance is carried out based on the principles of participation, transparency, and accountability.
- The institution that is specifically assigned by the Village Law to monitor the implementation of village governance is the Village Council (Badan Permusyawaratan Desa, BPD).
- Monitoring results show that the BPD has not been functioning well due to low capacity and understanding of its main duties and functions.
- This policy brief, discussing conditions and challenges facing BPD in ten study villages, hopefully can serve as a material for consideration when formulating derivative policies related to the BPD.
East Nusa Tenggara
The village law