This project is a continuation of the Developing and Promoting Indonesian Inclusive Economic Development Index (IEDI) project, which began in June 2018 and was planned to end in December 2019.
Since 2017, SMERU has been assisting Ministry of National Development Planning/National Development Planning Agency in formulating the IEDI to measure the inclusiveness of Indonesia’s economic development and use the Index as a policy tool to assist policy makers in developing more inclusive development policies. The IEDI has been calculated for national, provincial, and kabupaten/kota (district/city) levels.
In this project, we will:
- disseminate the IEDI in two kabupaten/kota of two provinces rich in natural resources and provide capacity building for kabupaten/kota officials to use the Index as a policy tool so that they can create more inclusive policies
- assess the inclusiveness of oil palm plantations in a kabupaten of a province rich in natural resources
Development in natural resource-rich areas is often not inclusive because the benefits of natural resources are usually captured by elites and are not widely distributed throughout the population. We hope that this project will benefit the poor in the two kabupaten/kota thanks to a more inclusive development policy.
Through this project, we expect the districts can learn, understand, and use the IEDI as a policy tool to make their economic development policies more inclusive.
We will carry out four distinct activities:
- Inclusive economic development diagnostic, dissemination, and capacity building in two kabupaten/kota (in Riau and West Kalimantan provinces) with an activity report as the deliverable
- A study on the inclusiveness of oil palm smallholding plantations in a kabupaten in North Sumatra province. This activity's deliverables are a research report and a policy brief to be disseminated to relevant policymakers to help them devise policies that will enhance oil palm smallholding plantations' inclusiveness.
- Continuous maintenance and improvement of the IEDI online system
- Attendance at an international conference to promote the IEDI